- A new vacancy has arisen for an experienced Packaging Engineer at our client’s pharmaceutical site in Athlone, Co. Westmeath.
- The Packaging Engineer provides technical support and expertise in the design, procurement, installation, commissioning, validation, and tech-transfer activities associated with the execution of packaging operations in the client’s new Ireland manufacturing facility.
- For the on-going commercial operation of the facility, the Packaging Engineer will provide key technical support in the areas of manufacturing process troubleshooting, process optimization, process development, and product transfer.
- The Packaging Engineer will report to the Technical Services Manager.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with manufacturing and quality colleagues as part of an Operations team whose shared goal is to realise the safety, quality, delivery and cost objectives of the site.
- Prioritises safety and is diligent in the use of all appropriate safety tools and permits – champions safe working always.
- Represent Packaging Operations on the site’s New Product Introduction team and lead NPI and Technology Transfer activity in Packaging.
- Lead the design of site packaging equipment, layout and operational systems to ensure packaging meets the performance requirements of the site across safety, quality, delivery and cost goals.
- Lead packaging multi-discipline packaging team projects and understand the requirements of these different disciplines which can include process engineering, validation engineering, new product introduction, QA, QC, supply chain and manufacturing.
- Ensure a lean packaging mindset is designed into operational and engineering personnel within packaging to minimise packaging downtime, human errors and to optimise performance of this area.
- Lead operational excellence through continuous improvement in Packaging.
- Lead site engagement with colleagues within the wider organisation on packaging related issues.
- Build maintenance plans and equipment supplier relationships necessary to delivery on the expected level of equipment performance.
- Understand packaging quality requirements and lead preparation for regulatory audits within the Packaging area.
- Work with partners and company stakeholders to design, build and operate serialisation and aggregation technology in line with the company’s serialisation strategy.
- Provides technical support for product PPRs (Periodic Product Review) from a Packaging perspective.
- Supports manufacturing by leading/supporting deviation investigations, and is familiar with structured problem solving and root cause analysis
- Supports validation activity as required.
- Provides training and mentoring to build technical capabilities among team colleagues.
- Supports capital projects throughout equipment lifecycle.
- The role will typically require infrequent, off site national and international travel, for business or equipment/project review meetings, including overnight stays, up to 10% of the time.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering or similar (ideally mechanical/manufacturing/industrial)
- Further qualification (Diploma/Masters) in Packaging Technology
- At least 5 years relevant experience in a pharmaceutical or medical device manufacturing environment, with at least 5 years’ experience in a comparable packaging engineering role.
- Strong technical knowledge of packaging equipment, packaging materials and packaging operations design.
- Understanding of how drug product is impacted by handling and processing, especially with regards to packaging.
- Basic understanding of extractables and leachables.
- Broader tech services knowledge with understanding of process engineering and validation engineering requirements which feed into validation projects.
- Track record of supporting packaging line operation and maintenance.
- Experience in bringing new packaging lines through initial design phases right through qualification.
- New product introduction and Serialisation experience.
- Strong experience of engineering principles of structured problem solving, program management and maintenance systems design.
- Strong understanding of pharmaceutical industry regulatory requirements as they apply to packaging.
To Apply: Quote – PE22083
If you would like to discuss this vacancy or to discuss your career and other job opportunities in confidence, contact us:
GC North Valley Business Centre, Cork, T23 KC67, Ireland.
+353 21 2066178
Please note, we do not require agency assistance with this role.